Date

Failure to boot Industry scenario on UP2 Atom x7-E3950.

Andrew Back

Hello,

Hardware is UP Squared P/N: UPS-APLX7-A20-0464 fitted with a 240GB mSATA
drive.

Followed the getting started guide at:

https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/getting-started/rt_industry_ubuntu.html

Installing the UOS to the SATA drive and SOS to the 64GB eMMC. ACRN
built with:

make all BOARD_FILE=misc/vm_configs/xmls/board-xmls/apl-up2.xml
SCENARIO_FILE=misc/vm_configs/xmls/config-xmls/apl-up2/industry.xml
RELEASE=0

Proceeded to build and install the kernel, and update Grub. Upon
rebooting "loading ACRN..." is printed out and there is a pause for a
few seconds, following which the system reboots. No other output at all.

I saw the note in the FAQ regarding memory and it looks as though the
default configuration for both CONFIG_PLATFORM_RAM_SIZE and
CONFIG_SOS_RAM_SIZE is 16GB, which seems odd, since AFAICT there is no
UP2 board available with more than 8GB fitted. In any case, I followed
the instructions at:

https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/faq.html#how-do-i-configure-acrn-s-memory-size

Setting the aforementioned parameters both to 4GB and reducing
CONFIG_UOS_RAM_SIZE to 1GB. Then rebuilt with 'make all RELEASE=0'
(specifying the XMLs this time resulted in error) and installed ACRN
again. However, this didn't seem to make any difference. Though I saw
after build that there was a .config file in build/hypervisor/ which had
the default higher RAM values configured, instead of those which I'd set
in hypervisor/build/.config. See the attached. Is the custom config
somehow being ignored? Maybe this is not the main issue even if so...

My guess is that ACRN is not being loaded at all / the build is very
broken, else I would expect this to at least print something out. Also
wondered if using a serial console would help in debugging? Wasn't sure
if this could provide greater insight into early boot failures.

Let me know if this looks like it may be an actual bug and I should log
this on the issue tracker. At this point however I'm suspecting user
error :o)

Regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back
http://abopen.com

Canceled: 2020 ACRN Project Technical Community Meeting (2020/7~2020/12): @ Weekly Wednesday 4PM (China-Shanghai), Wednesday 9AM (Europe-London), Tuesday 0AM (US-West Coast),

Zou, Terry

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all !!!

Special Notes: If you have Zoom connection issue by using web browser, please install & launch Zoom application, manually input the meeting ID (320664063) to join the Zoom meeting.

Agenda & Archives:

WW

Topic

Presenter

Status

WW28

Inter-VM communication Introduction (DM land)

Liu, Yuan1

7/8/2020

WW30

PTM virtualization Introduction

Wang, Qian

7/22/2020

WW32

TSN pass through Introduction

Wu, Binbin

8/5/2020

WW34

Safety VM introduction

Mao Junjie

8/19/2020

WW36

TCC feature introduction-split lock

Li Fei/Tao Yuhong

9/2/2020

WW38

Inter-VM communication Introduction (DM land)

Liu, Yuan1

9/16/2020

Project ACRN: A flexible, light-weight, open source reference hypervisor for IoT devices

https://projectacrn.org  ||  https://github.com/projectacrn  ||  info@...

We're still in the early stages of forming this TSC, so instead we invite you to attend a weekly "Technical Community" meeting where we'll meet community members and talk about the ACRN project and plans. As we explore community interest and involvement opportunities, we'll (re)schedule these meetings at a time convenient to most attendees:

  • Meets every Wednesday, Starting Nov 07, 2018: 11AM-12AM (China-Shanghai), 7PM-8PM (US-West Coast), 3AM-4AM (Europe-London)
  • Chairperson: Hongbo Wang, hongbo.wang@... (Intel)
  • Online conference link: https://zoom.com.cn/j/320664063
  • Zoom Meeting ID: 320 664 063
  • Special Notes: If you have Zoom connection issue by using web browser, please launch Zoom application, manually input the meeting ID (320664063) to join the Zoom meeting.
  • Online conference phone:
    • China: +86 010 87833177  or 400 669 9381 (Toll Free)
    • Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188  or +49 800 724 3138 (Toll Free)
    • US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 646 558 8656   or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)
    • Additional international phone numbers
  • Meeting Notes:

Or visit Github wiki if you can’t access Google doc: https://github.com/projectacrn/acrn-hypervisor/wiki/ACRN-Committee-and-Working-Group-Meetings#technical-community-meetings

Re: Intel Core i7 board options.

Andrew Back

On 18/12/2020 17:48, Geoffroy Van Cutsem wrote:
Hi! I agree with you. It has been a challenge to decide what and to what
level of granularity we describe what we validate, support and "Should
Work". Let me take that comment back to the engineering team, I'm not
too sure how to address it properly but I agree it's less than ideal at
the moment.

The second part of your comment is really the out of the box experience,
and there too it's not very straight-forward to install ACRN even on a
board that's known to work. We have some ideas on how to make that
easier, and with ACRN features maturing, this is climbing up the
priority ladder... so hopefully we'll have something better there in the
near future. If you have ideas yourself on how to make that easier,
please feel free to share them here... and if you have code/scripts to
help us, we'd also certainly welcome contributions in that area ;-)

Are you still having issues with your ACRN set-up by the way? If so,
please tell us more about these and we'll try to help you!
We've not made a start as yet and it will now likely be the new year
before we do. In addition to the Core i7 NUC, we'll also be evaluating
the UP2 Atom E3950, for use in a reduced performance configuration.

Thank you for the offer of help, it's much appreciated. I'll be in touch
should we run into any issues.

Best,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back
http://abopen.com

Re: Intel Core i7 board options.

Andrew Back

Hi Geoffroy,

Many thanks.

The DSP/PHY will be running as a Linux application, with an IP connection to another process running in the non-RT VM.

Are there embedded boards with processors that feature CAT support? And also which are presently supported by Acrn? Hopefully this won't be something we need, but would be good to know.

Any passthrough devices would be dedicated to a single VM, running a single transceiver process. Is there any tuning in particular for I/O? We can saturate USB 3.0 and need to make sure that this gives us the best performance possible, both in terms of throughput and latency.

Best,

Andrew

On 18/12/2020 16:52, Geoffroy Van Cutsem wrote:

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like the best starting point would be to use the classical industrial scenario for you. It allows you to start a Real-Time VM (RTVM) once ACRN and its Service VM is up and running. This is the Getting Started Guide for it: https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/getting-started/rt_industry_ubuntu.html

Are you running the DSP/PHY part of the stack under a Linux environment? If so, the tutorial above includes instructions on how to bring up a Linux environment and run a PREEMPT_RT kernel in it. That part would have to be adjusted if you need something different of course.

That NUC is based on a Kaby Lake processor, which does not support CAT (Cache Allocation Technology). This is something that could be useful if you are not getting the real-time performance you need when other apps are running in separate VMs. In any case, do not hesitate to reach out again if you face any issues and/or want some help with the performance tuning! We also have some notes that you may want to read on things to watch out for for real-time apps: https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/tutorials/rtvm_workload_design_guideline.html

Cheers,

Geoffroy