Date

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

Geoffroy Van Cutsem

@Zhao, Yakui Any comments about some lag in displaying the QT applications?

From: acrn-users@... <acrn-users@...> On Behalf Of shibi590268@...
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2022 2:49 pm
To: acrn-users@...
Subject: Re: [acrn-users] Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

Hello,
     Any suggestions on the improvement would be highly appreciable.

[Announce] ACRN Open Source Ver3.1 Release Notes

Zou, Terry

Hi all, We are very pleased to announce Version 3.1 release of ACRN. You can see the release blog from https://projectacrn.org/blog/ and detailed Release Notes in website https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/release_notes/release_notes_3.1.html

What’s New in v3.1:

·       More ACRN Configuration Improvements

Release v3.0 featured a new ACRN Configurator UI tool with a more intuitive design and workflow that simplifies getting the setup for the ACRN hypervisor right. With this v3.1 release, we’ve continued making improvements to the Configurator including more comprehensive error checking with more developer-friendly messages. You’ll also see additional advanced configuration settings for tuning real-time performance including Cache Allocation Technology (CAT) and vCPU affinity. Read more in the ACRN Configurator Tool and Scenario Configuration Options documents.

If you have feedback on this, or other aspects of ACRN, please share them on the ACRN users mailing list.

As with the v3.0 release, we’ve simplified installation of the Configurator by providing a Debian package that you can download from the ACRN v3.1 tag assets and install. See the Getting Started Guide for more information.

·       Improved Board Inspector Collection and Reporting

You run the ACRN Board Inspector tool to collect information about your target system’s processors, memory, devices, and more. The generated board XML file is used by the ACRN Configurator to determine which ACRN configuration options are possible, as well as possible values for target system resources. The v3.1 Board Inspector has improved scanning and provides more messages about potential issues or limitations of your target system that could impact ACRN configuration options.

The Board Inspector is updated to probe beyond CPUID information for Cache Allocation Technology (CAT) support and also detects availability of L3 CAT by accessing the CAT MSRs directly. Read more in Board Inspector Tool.

·       Sample Application with Two Post-Launched VMs

With this v3.1 release, we provide a follow-on Sample Application User Guide to the Getting Started Guide. This sample application shows how to create two VMs that are launched on your target system running ACRN. One VM is a real-time VM running cyclictest, an open-source application commonly used to measure latencies in real-time systems. This real-time VM (RT_VM) uses inter-VM shared memory (IVSHMEM) to send data to a second Human-Machine Interface VM (HMI_VM) that formats and presents the collected data as a histogram on a web page shown by a browser. This guide shows how to configure, create, and launch the two VM images that make up this application. Full code for the sample application is provided in the acrn-hypervisor GitHub repo misc/sample_application.

·       Multiple-Displays Support for VMs

The virtio-gpu mechanism is enhanced to support VMs with multiple displays.

·       Improved TSC Frequency Reporting

The hypervisor now reports Time Stamp Counter (TSC) frequency in KHz so that VMs can get that number without calibrating to a high precision timer.

Document Updates:

Sample Application User Guide

The new Sample Application User Guide documentation shows how to configure, build, and run a practical application with a Real-Time VM and Human-Machine Interface VM that communicate using inter-VM shared memory.

We’ve also made edits throughout the documentation to improve clarity, formatting, and presentation. We started updating feature enabling tutorials based on the new Configurator, and will continue updating them after the v3.1 release (in the latest documentation). Here are some of the more significant updates:

²  Getting Started Guide

²  Enable Intel Resource Director Technology (RDT) Configurations

²  Device Model Parameters and Launch Script

²  Scenario Configuration Options

²  Hypercall / HSM Upcall

²  Supported Hardware

²  Enable CPU Sharing

²  Enable S5

²  Using GRUB to Boot ACRN

²  Enable vUART Configurations

²  ACRN Shell Commands

²  Acrnctl and Acrnd

See the v3.1 full release notes and documentation for more information about this release including fixed and known issues.

Upgrading to v3.1 From Previous Releases

We recommend you generate a new board XML for your target system with the v3.1 Board Inspector. You should also use the v3.1 Configurator to generate a new scenario XML file and launch scripts. Scenario XML files and launch scripts created by previous ACRN versions will not work with the v3.1 ACRN hypervisor build process and could produce unexpected errors during the build.

Given the scope of changes for the v3.1 release, we have recommendations for how to upgrade from prior ACRN versions:

1.       Start fresh from our Getting Started Guide. This is the best way to ensure you have a v3.1-ready board XML file from your target system and generate a new scenario XML and launch scripts from the new ACRN Configurator that are consistent and will work for the v3.1 build system.
2.       Use the upgrader tool to attempt upgrading configuration files that worked with a release before v3.1. You’ll need the matched pair of scenario XML and launch XML files from a prior configuration, and use them to create a new merged scenario XML file. See Upgrading ACRN Configurations to Recent Releases for details.
3.       Manually edit your prior scenario XML and launch XML files to make them compatible with v3.1. This is not our recommended approach.

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

shibi590268@...

Hello,
     Any suggestions on the improvement would be highly appreciable.

Canceled: 2022 ACRN Project Technical Community Meeting: @ Monthly 3rd Wednesday 4PM (China-Shanghai), Wednesday 10AM (Europe-Munich), Tuesday 1AM (US-West Coast)

Zou, Terry

Special Notes: If you have Zoom connection issue by using web browser, please install & launch Zoom application, manually input the meeting ID (320664063) to join the Zoom meeting.

Agenda & Archives:
WW Topic Presenter Status
Chinese New Year Break
WW12 Libvirt Enhancement Introduction to Replace acrnctl Wu Xiangyang 3/16/2021
WW17 ACRN DX: New config/para Design and Application Xie Nanlin 4/20/2021
WW21 ACRN Based X86 OPTEE Introduction Liu Yifan 5/18/2021
WW25 ACRN Modularization Introduction Chen Jason 6/15/2021
WW30 ACRN DX: Dynamic Parameter Configuration Liu, Hang 7/20/2021

Project ACRN: A flexible, light-weight, open source reference hypervisor for IoT devices
We invite you to attend a monthly "Technical Community" meeting where we'll meet community members and talk about the ACRN project and plans.
As we explore community interest and involvement opportunities, we'll (re)schedule these meetings at a time convenient to most attendees:
  • Meets every 3rd Wednesday, 4-5:00 PM (China-Shanghai), Wednesday 10-11:00 AM (Europe-Munich), Tuesday 1-2:00 AM (US-West Coast)
  • Chairperson: Terry ZOU, terry.zou@... (Intel)
  • Online conference link: https://zoom.com.cn/j/320664063
  • Zoom Meeting ID: 320 664 063
  • Special Notes: If you have Zoom connection issue by using web browser, please launch Zoom application, manually input the meeting ID (320664063) to join the Zoom meeting.
  • Online conference phone:
  • China: +86 010 87833177  or 400 669 9381 (Toll Free)
  • Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188  or +49 800 724 3138 (Toll Free)
  • US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 646 558 8656   or +1 877 369 0926 (Toll Free) or +1 855 880 1246 (Toll Free)
  • Additional international phone numbers
  • Meeting Notes:

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

Liu, Fuzhong

Hi Shibi

Thanks for try virtio-gpu on apollo lake hardware!
@Zhao, Yakui Any comments about some lag in displaying the QT applications?

Thanks!

BR.

Fuzhong

     Now, the virtual gpu model is working in my apollo lake hardware. But, there is some lag in displaying the QT applications. Is there any parameter to tweak for improving the GPU performance?

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

shibi590268@...

Hi Fuzhong,
     Now, the virtual gpu model is working in my apollo lake hardware. But, there is some lag in displaying the QT applications. Is there any parameter to tweak for improving the GPU performance?

2022 ACRN Project Technical Community Meeting Minutes - WW34'22

Zou, Terry

ACRN Project TCM - 20th April 2022
Location    Online by Zoom: https://zoom.com.cn/j/320664063
Attendees (Total 12, 17/08)
Agenda
  1. ACRN project update: ACRN Hypervisor Release Version 3.0 on Jun-29th: https://projectacrn.github.io/3.0/release_notes/release_notes_3.0.html
  2. “WW34’22 ACRN Configuration & Setup Flow” Liu, Hang
Download foil from ACRN Presentation->WW34’22
  1. All: Community open discussion.
Q&A:  Q1: how to pass-through FPGA PCIE device with configurator tool?
A: Plus-in the FPGA PCIE device in target machine and generate board configuration xml(PCI device info will be this xml), then in ACRN configurator UI, you can find the device info in drop-down list.
  1. Next meeting agenda proposal:
WW Topic Presenter Status
Chinese New Year Break
WW13 Libvirt Enhancement Introduction Wu Xiangyang 1/29/2022
WW17 ACRN DX: New config/para Design and Application Xie Nanlin 3/23/2022
WW21 ACRN Based X86 OPTEE Introduction Liu Yifan 4/20/2022
WW26 ACRN Modularization Introduction Chen Jason 5/18/2022
WW34 ACRN Configuration & Setup Flow Liu, Hang 8/17/2022
Marketing/Events   N/A
Resources     Project URL:
  1. Portal: https://projectacrn.org
  2. Source code: https://github.com/projectacrn
  3. email: info@...

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

shibi590268@...

Fuzhong,
       We need it just to use user VM for display. We don't need great display performance. I will try the v3.0.
Thanks,
Shibi

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

Liu, Fuzhong

Hi Shibi

Do you have any  GPU performance requirement for User VM?

If it is just display for User VM, you can try virtio-gpu which is the new feature of v3.0.

Note:

We don’t verify this feature on APL platform; any question please raise github issue.

Thanks!

BR.

Fuzhong

           The board_inspector.py is not available in the v2.0. Is there any other tool available in v2.0 to generate the board config file for a custom board.
It have board_cfg_gen.py which asks for board and scenario as input. Does it function like board_inspector.
Thanks.

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

shibi590268@...

Edited

Hi Fuzhong,
           The board_inspector.py is not available in the v2.0. Is there any other tool available in v2.0 to generate the board config file for a custom board.
It have board_cfg_gen.py which asks for board and scenario as input. Does it function like board_inspector.
Thanks.

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

Liu, Fuzhong

Hi

GVT-g isn’t supported after v2.0, maybe  GVT-g related code isn’t cleaned in device model.

Thanks!

BR.

Fuzhong

            I see that the v2.7 device model still have the gvt-g option. But, you have mentioned that it is supported until v2.0. Should it work if i use v2.7? Could you please confirm.

Re: Using GPU passthrough in apollo lake

shibi590268@...

Fuzhong,
            I see that the v2.7 device model still have the gvt-g option. But, you have mentioned that it is supported until v2.0. Should it work if i use v2.7? Could you please confirm.

Canceled: 2022 ACRN Project Technical Community Meeting: @ Monthly 3rd Wednesday 4PM (China-Shanghai), Wednesday 10AM (Europe-Munich), Tuesday 1AM (US-West Coast)

Zou, Terry

Cancel this month, and reschedule ‘ACRN DX’ introduction to WW34 Aug-17. Thanks.
WW34 ACRN DX: Dynamic Parameter Configuration Liu, Hang 8/17/2021

[...]

Re: Using Virtio-gpio in guest VM

Geoffroy Van Cutsem