From: acrn-users@... <acrn-users@...> On Behalf Of Lonnie Cumberland
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 9:27 PM
To: acrn-users@...
Subject: [acrn-users] Dynamically adding VM's

Hi All,

I am beginning my exploration for ACRN as I think that it could offer what I need for my project which is based upon a nUltra-Litghtweight Hypervisor & Virtualizer like ACRN that will run a number of pre-loaded and dynamically loaded VM's which are composed of streamlined Unikernel applications all of which is run in RAM.

After searching for a VERY long time for possible candidates to use as a starting point with the strong criteria of:

1. Super small footprint

2. Able to run commodity guest OS's

3. Reliable and stable to semi-stable performance

4. Monolithic in design (as much as possible)

5. Would prefer it to run on Intel & AMD X86_64 based systems (others to follow)

I was able to narrow things down to:

A.) NOVA Hyervisor (Still Experimental and not mucd development, used in the Genode project)

B.) Xvisor

C.) ACRN Hypervisor

Both ACRN and Xvisor seem to be progressing and can offer many features but need development in some areas as well.

I like the very small footprint of ACRN and also that it is industrial grade for security which makes me want to use it as a starting point.

My goal is to do what I can to see if I can get it to run on AMD systems as well as the currently supported Intel systems and then give the patch back to the ACRN project.

I would also be interested to know if there is a scenario in which ACRN can dynamically load and start VM's as I did not read that in the scenario list.

Also, maybe finding a bare-metal GUI and adding it at a later time or perhaps in a VM as well.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what I can learn and contribute to the ACRN project.

Cheers and have a great weekend,

Lonnie