From: acrn-users@... <acrn-users@...> On Behalf Of Andrew Back
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 8:15 PM
To: acrn-users@...
Subject: [acrn-users] Failure to boot Industry scenario on UP2 Atom x7-E3950.

Hello,

Hardware is UP Squared P/N: UPS-APLX7-A20-0464 fitted with a 240GB mSATA drive.

Followed the getting started guide at:

https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/getting-started/rt_industry_ubuntu.html

Installing the UOS to the SATA drive and SOS to the 64GB eMMC. ACRN built with:

make all BOARD_FILE=misc/vm_configs/xmls/board-xmls/apl-up2.xml
SCENARIO_FILE=misc/vm_configs/xmls/config-xmls/apl-up2/industry.xml
RELEASE=0

Proceeded to build and install the kernel, and update Grub. Upon rebooting "loading ACRN..." is printed out and there is a pause for a few seconds, following which the system reboots. No other output at all.

I saw the note in the FAQ regarding memory and it looks as though the default configuration for both CONFIG_PLATFORM_RAM_SIZE and CONFIG_SOS_RAM_SIZE is 16GB, which seems odd, since AFAICT there is no
UP2 board available with more than 8GB fitted. In any case, I followed the instructions at:

https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/faq.html#how-do-i-configure-acrn-s-memory-size

Setting the aforementioned parameters both to 4GB and reducing CONFIG_UOS_RAM_SIZE to 1GB. Then rebuilt with 'make all RELEASE=0'
(specifying the XMLs this time resulted in error) and installed ACRN again. However, this didn't seem to make any difference. Though I saw after build that there was a .config file in build/hypervisor/ which had the default higher RAM values configured, instead of those which I'd set in hypervisor/build/.config. See the attached. Is the custom config somehow being ignored? Maybe this is not the main issue even if so...

My guess is that ACRN is not being loaded at all / the build is very broken, else I would expect this to at least print something out. Also wondered if using a serial console would help in debugging? Wasn't sure if this could provide greater insight into early boot failures.

Let me know if this looks like it may be an actual bug and I should log this on the issue tracker. At this point however I'm suspecting user error :o)

Regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back