Re: Intel Core i7 board options.

Andrew Back

Hi Geoffroy,

Many thanks.

The DSP/PHY will be running as a Linux application, with an IP connection to another process running in the non-RT VM.

Are there embedded boards with processors that feature CAT support? And also which are presently supported by Acrn? Hopefully this won't be something we need, but would be good to know.

Any passthrough devices would be dedicated to a single VM, running a single transceiver process. Is there any tuning in particular for I/O? We can saturate USB 3.0 and need to make sure that this gives us the best performance possible, both in terms of throughput and latency.

Best,

Andrew

On 18/12/2020 16:52, Geoffroy Van Cutsem wrote:

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like the best starting point would be to use the classical industrial scenario for you. It allows you to start a Real-Time VM (RTVM) once ACRN and its Service VM is up and running. This is the Getting Started Guide for it: https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/getting-started/rt_industry_ubuntu.html

Are you running the DSP/PHY part of the stack under a Linux environment? If so, the tutorial above includes instructions on how to bring up a Linux environment and run a PREEMPT_RT kernel in it. That part would have to be adjusted if you need something different of course.

That NUC is based on a Kaby Lake processor, which does not support CAT (Cache Allocation Technology). This is something that could be useful if you are not getting the real-time performance you need when other apps are running in separate VMs. In any case, do not hesitate to reach out again if you face any issues and/or want some help with the performance tuning! We also have some notes that you may want to read on things to watch out for for real-time apps: https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/tutorials/rtvm_workload_design_guideline.html

Cheers,

Geoffroy