Re: Purpose of the service-os and software-defined-cockpit bundles

Geoffroy Van Cutsem

-----Original Message-----
From: acrn-users@... [mailto:acrn-
users@...] On Behalf Of Miguel Bernal Marin
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:11 PM
To: acrn-users@...
Subject: Re: [acrn-users] Purpose of the service-os and software-defined-
cockpit bundles

I was upgrading my system to ACRN v0.2 today and wanted to ask a
couple
of questions regarding two bundles that we install as part of the
process, namely the service-os [1] and software-defined-cockpit [2]
bundles:
1. The software-defined-cockpit bundle includes various media and
graphics pieces (inc. Weston), do we still need to also install the
desktop bundle?

As yo said "software-defined-cockpit" bundle has needed bits to work
without desktop bundle. That's why it was created.
OK, I will test without the desktop bundle and see how it goes.

2. The software-defined-cockpit installs the ioc-cbc-tools on the
system.
These are not functional on standard, off-the-shelf HW such as NUCs
and UP2. Is there a way we could make these only start if running on
supported HW? One can 'mask' them manually (disabling is not
sufficient as they include "WantedBy=basic.target" and
"WantedBy=multi-user.target") but a more automatic mechanism would
be nice.

We need to ask to "ioc-cbc-tools" to improve their tool/systemd
services, to start only when on supported HW.

3. The service-os bundle includes "mcelog", but it does not seem
to run/be
functional by default. How can I start it?

It should be started by
/usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mcelog.service
Is that working for you?

I tried to start it manually (it's disabled by default) but 'mcelog' complains
there is no /dev/mcelog file (that does not happen when run Clear Linux
natively). I suspect we may be missing a kernel driver or udev rule?
You are right, is missing CONFIG_X86_MCELOG_LEGACY on SOS.
I just enable it, it will be available for the next Clear Linux release.
Thank you Miguel.

Geoffroy

[1] service-os:
https://github.com/clearlinux/clr-bundles/blob/master/bundles/serv