Re: Cannot start acrn.efi

Geoffroy Van Cutsem

-----Original Message-----
From: acrn-users@... [mailto:acrn-
users@...] On Behalf Of Geoffroy Van Cutsem
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:10 PM
To: acrn-users@...
Subject: Re: [acrn-users] Cannot start acrn.efi

Hi Ross,

-----Original Message-----
From: acrn-users@... [mailto:acrn-
users@...] On Behalf Of Ross Burton
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 7:27 PM
To: acrn-users@...

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 16:27, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@...> wrote:
: Not Found
Press any key to continue
Using a EFI shell I managed to determine that this is what happens if
you don't pass the loader argument. Something like:

fs1:
cd EFI
cd BOOT
acrn.efi
: Not Found

Right, that's understood. So now if bootx86 is actually systemd-boot,
why does this hang and not do anything:

fs1:
cd EFI
cd BOOT
acrn.efi loader=\EFI\BOOT\bootx86.efi
That's been hanging for 30 minutes so far.

Can acrn be started from the EFI shell? Should that have worked? Any
tips to debug this?
You can start it from the EFI shell, it should work. We've had some issues with
old-ish bios so if you have not done so yet, I would recommend you upgrade
your bios to the latest.

That's the system-boot efi binary from a Yocto distro, isn't it? What happens
if you start bootx86.efi from the EFI shell directly, do you see the boot menu
with all entries from /loader/entries?
One other thing that crossed my mind. If I was correct above that this is systemd-boot from Yocto, I would assume that the acrn.efi hypervisor was also built with Yocto? If true, I would recommend that you just grab a pre-built acrn.efi from an installation that you know works correctly and try to use that instead. We have seen issues in the past where we could built the hypervisor on a different OS but it would not work.

Thanks,
Ross