Note: lists.projectacrn.org will be down for maintenance on Wednesday, October 5th, starting at 9AM Pacific Time (4PM Wednesday October 5, 2022 UTC), for approximately one hour.
- Virtual communication in ACRN
Virtual communication in ACRN
I am currently working on a system with real-time and non-realtime VMs, and I need to implement some network communication between different VMs and external components. I read the high-level design guides, especially
the parts about device emulation and virtio, to understand what communication is already supported by ACRN. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I got it right so far. So maybe you guys could help me understand a few things.
My questions are:
- As I understand, I can connect two VMs with a virtual network. I assume this virtual communication is based on shared memory as well. Is that correct?
- Is it possible to connect multiple VMs with something like a virtual switch? I’m thinking of something similar to virtual switches on ESXi Servers (https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf)
- If something like a virtual switch exists in ACRN, does it live in the hypervisor itself or the service VM?
- Do pre-launched VMs always require dedicated hardware for network communication, or can they share devices emulated by the service VM?
I hope those are not too many questions. Even some answers would help me a lot.
I appreciate any help you can provide.
Join firstname.lastname@example.org to automatically receive all group messages.