Re: service VM ohne GUI einzulogen

Geoffroy Van Cutsem

Hi Jianjie,

From: acrn-users@... <acrn-users@...> On Behalf Of Jianjie Lin
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 11:05 am
To: acrn-users@...
Subject: Re: [acrn-users] service VM ohne GUI einzulogen

Hi Geoffroy,

Thank you very much for your reply

Regarding #1, you don’t need to modify the hypervisor for this. You can reconfigure the Service VM OS to boot in console mode. Assuming you are using Ubuntu, you can do so using “sudo systemctl set-default multi-user”

  • Thank you for your suggestion

Regarding #2, I’m assuming that you did, but can you confirm that you verified that the User VM had the correct number of vCPUs assigned to it? (checking ‘lspcu’, or in ‘/proc/cpuinfo’).

  • lspcu, you mean lscpu? We assign the four cores to the uos, and lscpu (or cat /proc/cpuinfo) also shows four cores. Besides, I am curious to ask, since we assign four cores to uos and have eight cores in total. (actually four physical core, and due to the hyperthreading, we have eight cores). But we found that we still get eight cores after we launch the uos and use the command lscpu in the service VM. Is it correct?

[Geoffroy] You’re right, I meant ‘lscpu’ :-) Does that mean that you initially see 8 CPUs in the Service VM, and then 4 after you’ve launched the User VM (which has 4 cores assigned)? For the best performance, you would want to also make sure that all cores (hyperthreading) from a physical core are assigned to the same VM (either Service or User VM). A hyper-threading is not quite the same as a physical core and there are resources shared so performance will be impacted. It may be a good idea to also run your tests with hyper-threading turned off (in which case you’ll have a total of 4 cores to play with) to see if you see the same performance degradation when increasing the number of cores given to the User VM.

I am not an expert on OpenVINO, but have you run a similar test in a native environment?

  • Yes, we test in the native environment, it can have almost 32 fps, but we can only get 0.8 fps in the uos. There has a big gap.

[Geoffroy] Is that using any acceleration (such as GPU, etc.) in the native environment?

What version of ACRN are you using? The vCPUs you are assigning to the User VM are not shared anymore I’m assuming, is that correct?

  • We use the v2.0 for using the gvt-g.  for evaluating, we just launch one uos, I am assuming that service vm does not use “those vcpu.”

[Geoffroy] The launch script typically offlines the CPUs it will give to the User VM. Otherwise I _think_ that the Service VM may still be using them. Are you setting any CPU affinity in your scenario file and/or via the launch script. It may be good actually if you could share your launch script and scenario file.

Thanks!

Jianjie Lin